To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions

City Hall

What hours is City Hall open?

City Hall is open from 9am - 5pm daily.


May I burn trash and leaves inside the city limits?

No, not at the current time due to dry conditions in our county.  Please contact city hall if you have any questions.

Application Process

I am interested in applying for a job with the City of Severy, what do I do?

You will need to fill out an application if available.  Please ensure you meet the qualifications for the position you wish to be considered for.  If you would like to include a resume, simply attach it to the completed application. You may mail or drop off the application at City Hall.  Interviews will be scheduled accordingly.

Does the City of Severy hire part time employees?

Yes, we do hire part time employees.  Availability of these positions will be posted here when available.

Sanitation & Recycling

When are the garbage collection days for my street?

Trash/Refuse will be picked up every Thursday.  Remember, observed holidays will alter the normal routine.

Water Utilities

How could I have used this much water?

You may not have - the numbers on your meter may have been transposed or hard to read. You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

My bill is past due can I get an extension?

Please contact our office and a one-time extension will be extended to you for extenuating circumstances.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look.


When is my utility bill due?

Utility Bills are due on the 15th of every month.  After the 15th a late charge will be assessed. 

How do I get on the agenda to speak?

Contact the City Clerk's office at (620) 736-2323 before noon on the Friday prior to the city council meeting.  If you miss that deadline, you may show up and sign the public forum provided at the meeting.

How many Council members does the City of Severy have?

The City of Severy has 5 Council Members and a Mayor.

When are the Council Meetings?

The Council meetings are the 1st Monday of every month starting at 7:00 p.m.

What is an Executive Session?

Executive sessions are not open to the public and may only be held for specific reasons.  No formal action may be taken while the council members and mayor are in executive session.  All binding action must occur in an open public meeting.

What is the sales tax rate for the City of Severy?

The total sales tax rate for the City of Severy is 8.5%, which includes the State of Kansas sales tax (6.5%), Greenwood County (1%) and Severy City (1%).

How are my property taxes calculated?

Property taxes are based on mils and are assessed through a mil levy.  One mil is equivalent to one dollar for every thousand dollars of assessed property value.  To calculate your estimated property tax bill, you need to know the approximate appraised value of your property, which you can find out from Greenwood County Parcel Search.  The total value of the house is then multiplied by 11.5% for residental and 25% for commercial/industrial property to determine the assessed property value. 

Are you allowed to burn with the City of Severy?

Yes, but you must contact the Greenwood County Sheriff's Department.  They will determine if the conditions are acceptable for burning or not. 

How do I apply for a job with the City of Severy?

Applications are available for pick up at Severy City Hall at 100 N. Kansas Avenue or on the citys website at www.cityofsevery.org

Can I get a second polycart?

Yes, additional polycarts are $17.00 per cart.  Call City Hall at (620) 736-2323 to order additional polycarts.

Who is responsible for the polycart?

The polycarts are the property of Waste Connections and will be maintained and replaced at no cost to the resident, except for damage due to negligence or abuse. 

Who do I call about a sewer line problem?

Contact City Hall at (620) 736-2323.  Please have your name and address or location of sewer problem ready so we can get Public Works out quickly.

What do I do if I don't have water pressure?

First, check and determine if you have a leak.  If you do not have a leak contact City Hall at (620) 736-2323.

Who do I call if there is an after hour emergency?

Call (620) 750-0492 for after hour water emergencies.

What causes my water to be cloudy or murky?

Temperature changes cause water to be cloudy or murky or there could be a leak in the water system.  This is why Public Works flushes hydrants so they can clear the lines to prevent cloudiness and murky water as well as determine if there are leaks in the system.

New Resident Resources

How do I sign up to receive Alerts and News & Notices?

Simply click the "Sign Up for Alerts" button located ……fill out the brief form with your preferred contact information and click submit

Where do I go to vote?

Elections are conducted at the United Methodist Church of Severy.  The address is 118 N Greenwood Ave.